Unstoppable Savior: The Lord of Simon Peter
Next week we will be back in 1 John, but this week we are taking a look at the life of Simon Peter (passionate, bold, raw, real, driven…)
Last time we looked at his Unstoppable Purpose (calling) --> Fishing for Men
Today we will look at a what it was like for Peter to encounter an Unstoppable Savior
Q: Can Jesus do it? (knowledge vs. experience --> Peter was experientially educated)
Turn to Matthew 14:22 (NOOK - Simon Peter: Flawed but Faithful Disciple by Adam Hamilton)
1. Jesus Can Lead Us into Difficult Circumstances
- Jesus had just heard that his cousin and friend John the Baptist had been murdered
- Jesus tried to get some time to himself but a large crowd found him
- People were healed and 5,000 miraculously fed (the day did not go as planned)
- Jesus scatters the crows and sends his disciples off
22 Immediately (Jesus) made the disciples get into the boat and go ahead of Him to the other side,
while He sent the crowds away. 23After He had sent the crowds away, He went up on the
mountain by Himself to pray; and when it was evening, He was there alone. 24But the boat was
already a long distance from the land, battered by the waves; for the wind was contrary.
- Jesus made (compelled) them to get in the boat and go (Similar to Mt. 8)
- A long distance from the land (many stadia…John 6:19 – 3-4mi)
- Facing winds and a strong headwind
- Roughly 9 hours (sundown to almost sunrise), in the dark, rowing into the wind
- Have you ever felt like that?
- Illustration: Greg’s Story - The Two-Year Interim at Sunrise
Jesus can lead us into difficult circumstances…
2. Jesus Can Overcome Any Barrier (Between Us and Him)
25 And in the fourth watch of the night He came to them, walking on the sea.
v. 25 - The sea (physical) barrier
- 24 – “the boat was already a long distance from the land” (John 6:19 – 3-4mi)
- Mark 6:48 – “Seeing them straining at the oars, for the wind was against them…”
- 4th watch – 3am-6am – not always in our timing
- “He came to them, walking on the sea.”
“walking on the sea” --> Unbelievable! Has anything like this ever happened before?
When you think of how extraordinary this is…you better understand the disciples reaction…
26 When the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were terrified, and said, “It is a
ghost!” And they cried out in fear.
The fear (emotional) barrier
- “They were terrified”
- Ghost --> Sea of Galilee --> Unfathomable --> Portal to the underworld?
- Note --> The disciples were afraid of HIM!
Maybe you are here today and you are terrified of Jesus: 1. Trusting 2. Following
27But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, “Take courage, it is I; do not be afraid.”
- “do not be afraid” --> The most common command in the bible --> 365 times?
- “it is I” --> literally “I AM”
- Why do we need to be told this so much? – Life is hard and often terrifying! (Sunrise)
“Sometimes people may think that as pastors or spiritual leaders we are somehow above the pain and struggles of everyday people. We are the ones who are supposed to have all the answers. But we do not,” Greg Laurie (Harvest) said. “At the end of the day, pastors are just people who need to reach out to God for his help and strength, each and every day,” he added.
- In moments like these, Jesus shows us he truly is the Prince of Peace
- Peter must have taken those words completely at face value (and then some)
3. Jesus Can Work Miracles in My Life
28Peter said to Him, “Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water.”
- The audacity!
- Instead of “Get in the boat” --> “(let) me come to you on the water”
- If Jesus can walk on the water...maybe I can too
- Not a belief that he (Peter) could do it...but a belief that he could if Jesus told him to
29And He said, “Come!” And Peter got out of the boat, and walked on the water and came
- He did it! Peter did it! (whole life was lived in the boat…sink or swim)
- Jesus can do it! Will Jesus do it? Does Jesus still do it? What if I ask, listen, and obey?
- Heavenly Man – Brother Yun – Follow miracles vs. Follow Jesus
John 14:12 - 12“Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do, he will do also; and greater
works than these he will do; because I go to the Father.
30But seeing the wind, he became frightened, and beginning to sink, he cried out, “Lord, save
me!” 31Immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and took hold of him, and said to him, “You
of little faith, why did you doubt?”
- I succeed when my eyes are on Him
- I sink when my eyes are on the wind
- I’m saved when I call out to him (this week…2 people trusted Jesus)
Sometimes the way Jesus works in our life is more providential (Sunrise)
Own story of trusting Jesus for miracles in my life…
Video: Amanda’s Story - The Miracle of Hudson
Learned --> It’s not about me (I’m pretty normal…it’s about HIM!)
4. Jesus Can, Because He Is!
32 When they got into the boat, the wind stopped. 33And those who were in the boat worshiped
Him, saying, “You are certainly God’s Son!”
- Who is this Unstoppable Savior?
- Who walks on water? Who calms the seas?
Psalm 107:28-29 (the Sailor’s Psalm)
28Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble, and He brought them out of their distresses
29 He caused the storm to be still, so that the waves of the sea were hushed.
Song – From Whom All Blessings Flow (Doxology)
Peter grew in his understanding that this Jesus is an Unstoppable Savior
Today is the day…
- For Jesus to become YOUR Unstoppable Savior
- Pray, “Jesus, command me to step out of the boat.”
- Sign up for GO Conference (sign up small group) --> lobby & burkecommunity.com/go